Close
  • monte generoso storia 00.jpg
  • monte generoso storia 01.jpg
  • monte generoso storia 02.jpg
  • monte generoso storia 03.jpg
  • monte generoso storia 05.jpg

125 Years of history

The first train journeys by steam locomotive to ascend the mountain were made in 1890. During the war years, its days as a tourist attraction seemed numbered, and the owner wanted to dismantle the railway and sell the tracks for iron. 

However, the Migros founder Gottlieb Duttweiler was convinced that access to the extraordinary panorama was worth preserving. Without hesitation, he bought the railway in 1941. 75 years on, it is still supported by the Migros Cultural Percentage initiative.

A brief history
of the Monte
Generoso railway

1867

Doctor Carlo Posta builds the first little hotel on Monte Generoso Bellavista.

2 July 1886

Creation of the SA of Monte Generoso and first concession for the construction of a narrow gauge and cog railway.

4 June 1890

Inauguration of Monte Generoso Railway.

1909

Sale of the FMG SA to SA Italo-Swiss Monte Generoso.

1940

Recovery of the SA by Messrs. Hermann and Casoni.

27 March 1941

On the initiative of Charles Hochstrasser, Gottlieb Duttweiler buys the FMG.

1970

Construction of the Hotel Restaurant Vetta.

1982

Electrification of the railway.

1996

Inauguration of the Astronomical Observatory. Godmother Margherita Hack.

1999

Opening of the "bear cave”.

7 July 2000

Purchase of the Bellavista and the old Hotel “Des Alpes”.

2014

Demolition of the old Hotel-Restaurant Vetta Monte Generoso.

15 April 2015

Work start new tourist attraction "Fiore di pietra".

29 March 2017

Inauguration new attraction “Fiore di pietra”.

8 April 2017

Opening "Fiore di pietra".